So what should you ask your potential doula? Here is a compilation of questions that you may want to ask. Your doula’s answers in addition to how comfortable and at ease you feel with her will give you insight into which doula is right for you!
Questions for birth & postpartum doulas
- What training have you had? How did it prepare you for this role?
- Do you have a backup doula for when you are not available? May we meet her? Do you work with particular backup doulas that know they’re on call for you?
- What is your fee, what does it include, and what are your refund policies? (It is a good idea to find out fees before meeting at an interview.)
- Can you give me examples of how you would support me if these scenarios happened? (List some things you’re concerned about.)
- Can you tell me about a time that a client made a decision you disagreed with? What did you?
When interviewing birth doulas
- How long have you been a birth doula? What kinds of things have you learned during that time about supporting moms?
- How many times will we meet prenatally to discuss our birth plan and how you will support us? May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
- When is your on-call period? When do you join women in labor? Do you come to our home or only meet us at the place of birth?
- Will you meet with us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions?
When interviewing postpartum doulas
- How long have you been a postpartum doula? What kinds of things have you learned during that time about supporting new families?
- May we meet with you prenatally to discuss our postpartum needs and your role during this time? May we call you with postpartum questions or concerns before the birth?
- When do your services begin after birth?
- What is your experience in breastfeeding support? Have you had additional training?
- Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB test and current CPR certification?
Do you have more questions you think we should share on this list? Please let us know!